Monday, September 29, 2014

Gray Lodge Wildlife Area 9/19-9/21 2014

I went deer hunting at Gray Lodge wildlife area last weekend (first time ever going there). I was repeatedly pleasantly surprised by how nice the whole place was. There were flush toilets, the roads were very well maintained, and in the main parking lot there was even a microwave you could use.

This place is very well managed. I have never seen so much wildlife in one place. Species I saw included, grouse, pheasant, quail, turkey, deer, red tailed hawks, an owl, a turtle, frogs, bass, egrets, blue herons, crayfish, a kingsnake (see video here) and many other brids

If I were to go deer hunting there again, I would go in a group of at least two, 3-4 would likely be best. This way when flushing out the deer in the reeds you would be more likely to get one. This is really the only good way to deer hunt there. Several hunters did bring tree stands for the few trees which can support one, however they were not used much. Bikes are allowed there so I would recommend bringing one, this way you can cover much more ground.

I saw 11 deer, 10 of which were legal but could not get a good shot at one.
I also did some bass fishing - to see the youtube video click here

Do Not Forget Mosquito Spray/Repellent

IF you have any questions please ask in the comment section, I will answer any questions you have.



Gray Lodge Wildlife Area - Butte County (DFG LINK)

No comments:

Post a Comment